If there is one salad that disappears instantly in our house, it’s Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad. Kids and adults love it, and it is also a crowd-pleasing and attractive dish to bring to a potluck.
Canned black beans, jarred roasted red peppers, and Green Giant Roasted Corn (from the freezer section) make this salad easy enough to put together any day of the week. I used to make this salad with regular frozen corn, and it tastes great. But the roasted corn adds more flavor, and is just as easy to use, right from the freezer section.
This recipe takes about 30 minutes or less to put together, including the easy, zesty, homemade dressing.
Hearty salads are everything
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad is a great example of the type of salad I like the most: non-leafy. Sure, I’ll eat a lettuce or spinach salad – as long as it has plenty of veggies, fruits, nuts, and other goodies. I especially love the caesar salad that my husband makes, complete with crisp, garlicky croutons and authentic caesar dressing made from scratch (anchovies or go home.) But give me hearty salads, and I’ll have them any time – sometimes as my entire meal.
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad for meal prep
This salad holds up well in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days, maybe 5 – but it won’t last that long – so it’s perfect for meal prep. I’d serve it along with Pressure Cooker Chipotle Chicken Thighs or Pressure Cooker Pork Carnitas. You can prepare the salad while either of these recipes pressure cooks, and still have time left over to check out How Do You Food on Pinterest!
Cilantro Lime Rice would be a great option if you prefer a vegetarian meal. A few slices of avocado would also be a welcome addition, no matter what you’re pairing with Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad.
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad
For the salad
- 2 bags Green Giant Frozen Roasted Corn – 10 oz bags
- 15 oz black beans – large can
- 1 jar roasted red peppers – 16 oz, drained and chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion – minced
- 1 cup cilantro – chopped
For the dressing
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt – or more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp light agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, cook corn for 2-3 minutes on high, until thawed.
- Add drained black beans, chopped red pepper, diced onion, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- In a separate small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Pour dressing over bean and corn mixture. Stir well, and season to taste.
- This salad keeps well for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. It’s great for meal prep!
- I use Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice when I don’t have fresh limes available. It’s an excellent substitute.
- If you can’t find Green Giant Roasted Corn in the freezer section, regular frozen sweet corn kernels will do. I don’t recommend canned corn for this recipe.
- It’s ok to use the cilantro stems, too. They also have a lot of flavor. Trim and discard the ends before chopping.